Here's why these black hair products should not go on your head:
And there are many reasons why... The products go from simply serving no positive purpose in your hair regimen all the way to containing carcinogenic chemicals in them that will HARM YOUR HEALTH.
If you find them in your hair products then you are better off tossing the product in the trash.
So here we go....
[Tweet "If you find these ingredients in your hair products, TOSS THEM OUT! #naturalhair #teamnatural"]
1. FORMALDEHYDE: This is not only a product used in some hair products but in MANY nail polishes, formaldehyde should definitely be a "NO-GO" in the hair lines you choose to use.
It's often used in hair care products containing water to slow bacteria growth. That's all well and good but Formaldehyde is a suspected carcinogen and may cause skin reactions, lead to joint pain, allergies, trigger heart palpitations, headaches, ear infections, dizziness, and chest pains. (Join 17,700+ Lovely Sistas who are getting smart, fast hair growth tips)
2. METHYLENE GLYCOL: Beware.... This is nothing more than Formaldehyde by another name.
Leading hair straighteners, including Brazilian Blowout, claim that formaldehyde mixed with water creates a new chemical, methylene glycol. That is like saying that sweet tea does not contain sugar.
[Follow BlackHairOMG on Instagram we got the hair pics & videos FOR DAYS!]
3. ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL: This ingredient has the MAJOR potential to dry your hair out and cause serious breakage! It can be found in cosmetics, hand lotion, and hair color rinses. Natural hair of African descent does not interact with this ingredient well at all.
This ingredient can also cause dizziness, depression, headaches, and nausea if inhaled directly. Definitely crossing this off of my list of ingredients I allow/turn a blind eye to. If you see Isopropyl alcohol in your ingredient list toss it (especially if it is listed in the top 10 ingredients on the list)
4. PROPYLENE GLYCOL: It's always troubling when products that are used for other non-human related things are used in a hair product or ingredient that has to come in contact with our skin. This is one of them.
Propylene glycol is used as the main ingredient in antifreeze if you can believe that!
People who work with this substance are told to wear gloves since it easily penetrates the skin, however we apply this humectant to our bodies quite frequently (deodorant, makeup, toothpaste, hair care products…etc) without any form of protection.
This chemical is stated to cause dry skin, dermatitis, hives, eczema, and other allergic reactions.
5. IMIDAZOLIDINYL UREA and DMDM HYDANTOIN: Thought we'd finished talking about formaldehyde? I wish... These ingredients actually release formaldehyde (ugh!) They can cause irritation to your respiratory system and create heart palpitations!
6. DEA (diethanolamine) MEA (momoethnanolamine) TEA (triethanolamine): DEA and MEA are hormone disrupting chemicals that are usually listed with the compound being neutralized.
Most beauty products contain this like bubble baths, body washes, facial cleansers, and soap. These ingredients if absorbed into the skin frequently can lead to liver and kidney cancer.
They also lead to dry hair and skin. Which is why they are a big no-no for your hair care regimen. Even natural products use DEA and MEA on occasion which is why it is still important to read the label of a “natural” or “organic” product! ( Get FREE Hair Growth Tips for 4c Hair HERE)
7. SODIUM LAURYL SUFATE (SLS) & SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE (SLES): This product is a detergent used in most shampoos and foaming properties. SLS strips your hair of its natural oils and leave it dry and brittle.
Because they are cheap ingredients they are used in most personal care produces and is used in testing labs as the standard to irritate skin.
If you use shampoo with SLS there is a possibility that it may be absorbed into the body which is not a good thing at all.
Too much presence of nitrates can become toxic in the body. This ingredient can stay in your body for up to five days, and it may be damaging to the immune system especially in through your skin.
Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES)– SLES is the alcohol form (ethoxylated) of SLS. It is slightly less irritating than SLS, but may be more drying. Both ingredients can be absorbed into the blood stream through the skin.
If you’ve found any of these ingredients on your product list are you considering throwing them out or finishing the product? Let us know we’re interested to see how you’ve responded to this list!
Always check your ingredient list carefully and make sure you are aware of what is going in and on your body!